Thursday, January 1, 2015

Simplify

Sometimes I really like to get lost in the details.  Sometimes the process of planning to do something becomes more important than actually completing the task.  Sometimes (many times!) I get very, very involved in a project that never really pans out.

When I was thinking of what I'd to focus on in 2015, I almost resorted back to standard resolutions, the main attraction being the rather vague "Get Organized!!".  

The recent holiday prep time was a glaring reminder of exactly how much I have let things slip around our home life.  Trust me when I tell you that I gave up the quest for homemaking perfection a looong time ago.  But I am talking about mounds of clean laundry left unfolded for absurd amounts of time, a basement in disarray because nothing ever makes its way back "home", lost papers, STACKS of papers from school/mail, the absence of any useful filing system (where there used to be a really good one!).  Seriously, the paper thing borders on hoarding.  It's really just a general lack of keeping up with everything that a household of 5 entails.  When you let everything go, catching up becomes a huge task.

I know that I have ALL the tools to fix this situation.  The paper, for one example: files, labels, bins, a system, yeah- it's all there, ready to be used.  It is a system I have used for YEARS.  And yet...it's not happening.  I lack motivation!

In reflecting on some of the clutter and crap that really doesn't need to be around our home (ditto for the mental clutter that is plaguing me lately), I realized that I don't want to go back to a list like "1. Get Organized, 2. Plan meals...".  Not that there is anything wrong with making goals in that way.  But there is a huge temptation for me to get caught up--actually STUCK--in the planning mode.  It's a hazard for me and it will end up with me investing lots of time and energy in the "how to do this" part and zero time in the "get 'er done" part.

So I am going to stick with an idea that was brought to my attention a few years ago via bloggy friend Midwest Mom.  For my own reference, this is my recap of what started in 2011.  Choosing one word to be the focal point for the year.  My word for 2015 is "Simplify".

My hope is that this will inspire me to keep things simple and avoid unnecessary complication.  This could apply to so many areas of life, not just the physical space I occupy.

I don't know that I will get to this blog more often as a result but perhaps if I truly brace this, it really will free me to return to some of things I love to do.

If anyone still reads this, I'd love to know your word.  I always find it so inspiring!!  Leave it in the comments or a link to your own post :)

Happy 2015!!!

1 comment:

StephLove said...

"When you let everything go..." so true. I suffer from radical domestic disorder as well.