Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Week

We are now in holiday/vacation mode since the boys have no preschool for the next 2 weeks.

The only appointments on our agenda this week are a lab appointment for Chloe tomorrow morning (lead screening) and Liam's speech session on Tuesday.  Liam may also be brewing an ear infection so I am monitoring that situation and might schedule a visit to the doctor tomorrow or Tuesday if he keeps acting as if his ears hurt (while verbally denying pain).

I've got lots to do but am trying to just plan out the week the best I can, prioritize and not freak out (my normal reaction).  As of this morning, all my cards are in the mail so if you are waiting for one- it's coming, I promise!!  Shopping is done except for 2 small gifts, some lottery tickets and oh yeah, something for Mike.  We are keeping it real this year & he is so, so easy to buy for so I'm not worried about getting that done.  And the kids can shop with me for him so it won't be so hard to fit it in.

Up until a few days ago, I wasn't sure how many gifts we would be able to buy for the kids.  We are thankful to be able to provide some fun stuff for them and our family is always so generous.  They won't know what hit them.  So up until this past weekend, I had only purchased a few gifts for their cousins. I've been very removed from alot of the commercial stuff (except for incessant Christmas shows including no fewer than 3 viewings per day of Disney/Pixar's Prep and Landing- which I happen to love).  It's been kind of nice to not spend all my time thinking/worrying about shopping.  The boys have also been learning alot at preschool.  Their school happens to be affiliated with a Christian church & I like that they understand that Christmas is more than just presents and Santa.  I've had the chance to talk with them about the birth of Jesus and we have a few story books floating around that tell the story.  We are Catholic and the downside of our particular parish is that they don't always have alot to offer younger kids--so I like the kids to have another source of learning about the basis of our religious beliefs.  One day, they will decide for themselves but for now, I hope we are giving them a good foundation. There's also been lots of singing in our house & in the car, which I love!

Oh wait, I must report on Find Jesus -for official game rules & background, link here and visit MOMommy. I totally stole this when Erin posted on it & this is the first year that Mike and I have really put our hearts into it.  I'll let you know who wins!

Things don't really get super busy for us until Christmas Eve.  We are going to a 4:00pm children's mass with my mom and mom-in-law & then having my family over for food & presents.  Then Mike's brother will arrive and stay at our house Christmas Eve...I think it will be fun to have him here on Christmas morning.  So I've got cleaning to do and supplies to purchase and meatballs to roll and somewhere in there, we should make some cookies!  Christmas Day will be mostly spent at Mike's sister's house.

I'm going to just let my heart enjoy it, and roll with each day, and keep reminding myself of the promise I made not too long ago.... for me, 2011 is all about cherishing the people that matter & I tried starting that theme early so that I begin the new year with that mindset.  I'm getting there slowly!

And one final note, that creepy little elf on the shelf (Ice Cube) seems to maybe have had a positive impact on reducing the oppositional and crazy behavior that has been going on in our house.  But I'm not if it's the kids or the parents who have changed...either way, I'll take it!

Hope this week goes smoothly for all of us :)

No comments: