Friday, April 1, 2011

Honeymoon Over

After a pretty easy winter season in terms of illness, we are now being hit...

I blame Mike and have seriously considered divorce this week.  Consider this:

Last week, Mike started out with cold symptoms and developed a rather nasty cough.  He went to the CVS "minute clinic" and basically dx'd with a viral infection, upper respiratory--symptom management meds were advised.  We had weekend plans that I could not completely miss out on (Godmother duties).  So I trekked all 3 kids about an hour and a half north of here for an overnight stay.  Mike stayed home to rest and get better--he was sick for reals, not "wussy man sick".

By Monday, he was not all that better.  I suggested he return to the minute clinic to figure out what else might be going on.  Coughing up multi-colored gunk does not sound viral to me but then again, I never managed to make it through med school so what do I know?

Long story short--Mike returned to the clinic on THURSDAY.  Diagnoses: bronchitis, ear infection, pink eye.  Rx: antibiotic, eye drops, cough suppressant, inhaler for shortness of breath.  He should have been resting 24/7...he was not.

Now, here we are at Friday.  I am hoping that Mike will feel better over the weekend.  Liam now has an ear infection and today Chloe developed pink eye(s).  Michael has a bit of a cough but nothing official at this point...he is in line for bronchitis (let's hope that doesn't happen).
It could be worse...we haven't been visited by the vomit fairy yet, so that's good.  Just pray that I don't get sick too b/c then the ship really will sink!

So I hope this is a bump in the road, not the beginning of a long road of sickness for us.  Whatever happens, we will work through just like everybody else does!  If you have any cleaning/disinfecting tips, I'd love to hear them.  I did some "disease management" yesterday and plan to do another round tomorrow.

We did have a great time last weekend, despite Mike's absence.  My parents, who should be canonized as saints any day now, made the trip with us.  Since I had to be a part of the baptism ceremony, I didn't feel great about how the kids might behave in church while I was up on the altar.  While lots of my friends were also there to help out, I felt much more at ease having my parents along for the ride.  They totally did not mind, enjoyed their stay and also liked seeing my friends+kids.  It was so much fun and then I came home & the week just took on a life of it's own so I haven't even blogged about it!  C'est la vie!

2 comments:

MamaK said...

"the vmoit fairy" - HA!

no good advice here, unless move south counts...

Kelsey said...

Oh I hope all the illness is vacating your household! That's a rough run.