Saturday, June 25, 2011

Where I'm From

I am from screen doors, from Tetley iced tea
and bathing babies in the kitchen sink.
I am from green and white porch posts, with an American flag
waving in the warm sun,
or bright with lights on Christmas Eve.
I am from the mimosa tree in the backyard,
the daffodils and petunias, coloring the garden out front.
I am from sitting on a suitcase while driving to the beach,
clear blue eyes
From Newswangers and Divineys and Lennons.
I am from the worry warts and the vivid dreamers.
From clean your plate and quick, quick like a bunny
I am from Sunday school,
bible stories told on a felt board and sacraments.
I am from Chester County and County Cork,
from Irish bread and eggs over easy.
From the steel mill explosion that my dad survived
and the puppy in the coat pocket of a family friend visiting my grandmother, then a child
I am from albums and shoe boxes of photographs,
so randomly collected,
that tell a scattered story
pieced together in memories,
with family at the core.

The above is a creative experience for little me, who is trying to get back on the writing track.  I gave it some time and patience... and was surprised and pleased at how personal the final product is.

-I loved writing this.  Happened to get the idea from this blog. 
-Based on this poem by George Ella Lyons
-Template is here if you want to do your own-
-Let me know in the comments section if you do, I'd love to read more!

5 comments:

A, said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Am so tempted to do one!

MamaK said...

this is so awesome! and the coolest part is that when I started reading it, the poem seemed so familiar... so I'm not sure if you shared it with me b4, or if I recognized YOU in the writing. both are awesome!

bluedaisy said...

Oh I hope you both write one!!!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I am from the worry warts, too, oh AM I !!!

Steph

Kelsey said...

I have been meaning to do one of these for years. Yours was lovely.

I'll let you know if I get around to it...