Before I get to the point of this, let me tell you a little bit about Liam. From a physical standpoint, Liam is definitely big for his age. I think at his last check-up, he was in the 90%ile+ for height/weight/head measurements...he wears 24 months, sometimes 2T clothes. When he and Michael stand next to each other, they are very similar in size. Liam still has more of a baby face...and I think of him as my "Little Liam".
Well, I recently commented to Mike and my mom that I think that Liam doesn't seem as "capable" as Michael did at his current age. I didn't say it as a critical remark but just more of an observation. That was about 2 weeks ago and let me tell you- I think the child heard me, I think he understood me and I think he has set out to prove me wrong!
It really feels like, all of the sudden, Liam is growing up!! He is letting go of some of his "baby-ness" and embracing his toddlerhood. It is an AMAZING process to watch and nurture. It's evident in several areas including physical ability, communication, independence. Not that I was worried about him, he is definitely on track. It's just so cool to see little ones discover their own abilities. As a result, I have been talking to him on a different level, giving him little jobs, etc. He LOVES it. He is also trying to play more with Michael and they kind of joke around with each other, making each other laugh, etc. They are so fun together!
With my job, I spend a good bit of time working with kids who have experienced some type of developmental delay. And it's so heartbreaking for parents...and it's something that I have always been tuned into with my kids because I don't want to ignore a problem and regret not taking advantage of early intervention services if there would be a need.
So the point of this is that I am excited for Liam and his process of self-discovery and I am even MORE excited to see what cool things he will do tomorrow. You can't beat watching a little one learn and grow and thrive. So to my little Liam- I am so proud of you!
1 comment:
Go Liam! what fun watching them play together-- I'm looking forward to meeting them (hopefully) sometime in the next few months!
Post a Comment