Wednesday, August 13, 2008

2 TOTALLY unrelated topics...

I am trying to get myself into a routine of blogging but just can't seem to get done reading the blogs of others.

The first thing I need to get out is that I have recently read 2 stories of child abuse- specifically infant abuse- and I find it totally horrifying. I work for a children's mental health agency so I am not naive BUT I don't know that I have ever thought about the high incidence of injuries and death resulting from shaken baby syndrome. I remember being shown a video about it at the hospital after my first son (Michael) was born. And I completely understand how frazzled a new mom (or dad) can be because Michael had pretty severe colic. But I could have NEVER, EVER done harm to him. It's really depressing to realize what happens in this world every single day. When the situation is life or death for the baby- my daily worries seem insignificant in comparison. Yes we have financial stress right now but our children are happy, healthy and thriving...and for that I am truly thankful.

With that said, I move on to a much lighter topic- VACATION. We just returned from Kill Devil Hills, NC. And we had a FANTASTIC time. Many, many thanks to my brother who invited us on this "complimentary" vacation. The house was BEAUTIFUL and we had a perfect weather week. Michael and Liam had a blast with the family. Michael was like a little fish in both the pool and the ocean and he loved playing in the sand. Liam took a little bit longer to warm up to the beach but he also had so much fun. It was a great time and while I think we were ready to be back home, we miss having the pool and the beach right there.

Going to the beach is definitely a new experience since we started our family. Just getting out the door is a major project. If we could eliminate the need for sunscreen, our prep time would be reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. Obviously, that is a necessity so we do the best we can to lather it on and reapply as needed. No sunburn to report so we must have done something right. I hope to post some pics from vacation here as soon as I learn how to do that!

On a closing note, I have many topics I would like to blog about including: what it's like to have 2 little ones so close together, the special bond between my dad (Poppy) and Michael, a letter to Liam, a letter to Michael, my need for potty training advice...the list could go on but I thought I would note some ideas here because my memory isn't always what it should be.

Sweet dreams to all...

1 comment:

bluedaisy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.