If you read here with any regularity, you know that I admit to being a moody person.
So you can imagine that during pregnancy, that tendency is amplified. I am much less tolerant of b.s. and much more ballsy during this hormone overload.
I give you a random example:
Last Thursday, I was on my way to an off-site meeting and I had planned to stop for some coffee along the way because:
a)I hadn't had any coffee yet that morning
and
b)I prefer to have something to drink during potentially lengthy meetings
So I went to the local Dunkin Donuts drive through because it was convenient and hey, I didn't even have to get out of the car!
When I attempted to place my order, the cashier asked several questions that I really NEVER get asked at a DD such as "hot or cold" and "whole or skim milk"--so I was caught off guard but answered the questions politely.
I had to ask her to repeat one of them--oh the horror-- because I honestly did not hear what she said (due to static on intercom) and she got all huffy with me. I didn't even think twice...I simply said, "You know what, nevermind!" and I just drove off with nothing.
Sadly, this meant that I had to go to the meeting un-caffeinated. Fortunately, the meeting was only about 45 minutes.
Under normal conditions, I would have continued with my ordering and I might have even been apologetic like "sorry I couldn't hear you over the intercom, blah, blah" like it was all my fault. But I felt no need to take that route, decided I really didn't need to be that aggravated just to have coffee and I just left the situation. And it felt good--to just avoid a non-essential, unpleasant interaction. I wasn't rude, I just ended the whole thing.
When I got back to my office, I went on the company website and wrote a brief note explaining my disappointment over the whole episode. Again, not whiny and bitter, just stating the facts & letting them know that they lost business that day due to poor customer service.
I know, I know- it's not like I am raising awareness of crimes against humanity or fighting for the rights of the oppressed...but I was content with my reaction & I didn't take that person's bad mood with me- I left it right there in the drive-thru lane.
Maybe one day I will transplant that type of thinking to meaningful areas of life? I'd like to be more resistant to the negativity of others...I get enough of my own naturally without adding extra fuel!
BTW: I made up for it later with a tall caramel latte from Starbucks...and it was worth every penny! Especially with my toasted everything bagel with cream cheese from Wawa.
1 comment:
I had a similar experience (while pregnant, of course) at a McDonald's drive-through. The cashier charged me the wrong amount, then the lady at the second window got mad at me for it and I ended up driving yelling something like "OH FORGET ABOUT IT!" and driving off, only to sit in my driveway and cry because I didn't have any chicken nuggets. Don't mess with pregnant ladies, people!
Post a Comment