Thursday, November 5, 2009

From my desk at work...

I am still at work as I post this...

I have some down time between now and the start of a parent information session. Part of my job is provide parents of children with autism the opportunity to attend relevant trainings on topics of interest. This can mean just passing on info about upcoming events but it is also part of my job to hold at least one training of my own each quarter.

Tonight's topic? "Potty Training your Child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder". I've done this presentation twice before and it generally goes over really well. Parents participate and share their own experiences--it makes for a very nice evening.

While I know the presentation has solid information, I feel like a bit of a fraud sometimes because Michael basically potty-trained on his own. Not that we haven't supported, encouraged and assisted him BUT...Michael decided on his own that he wanted to wear underwear and go on the potty. He took that first critical step by letting us know he was ready and that just made it so incredibly easy.

I am always upfront with parents if they ask about my children and I do share some relevant experiences...but I try to keep that to a minimum because who wants to hear someone bragging about their easy potty training experience when their own child is just fiercely resistant to it?
And I am thinking some of these strategies will come in handy with Liam- who I predict will be the harder one to transition from diapers to the potty.

Anyway, that's what I'm up to this evening- I am going to be SO DANG TIRED by the time I get home so wish me luck in getting through the rest of the night. This is my last evening event so that's somewhat comforting given that I am 35 weeks pregnant today!!

P.S.: I may have a part-time opportunity coming along with this job--keep your fingers crossed because that would ROCK!! I am going to need to do something part-time to keep us financially afloat and if I can stick with this, it will be a wonderful thing :)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh I hope you find something part time - that would be awesome!

P.S. No news from Erin yet.

A, said...

How did your night go? Prayers up for a part time position there!