Monday, November 29, 2010

Catching Up/Venting

I love traveling and visiting with family.  But I hate coming back home.  Because I never get to leave the house the way I'd like to leave it, it always takes forever to get everything back to normal & let's not forget to mention the laundry.

Yes, I am a grinch, I know it.  We had a great extended post-Thanksgiving weekend at Mike's Dad's house.  It was lots of fun and I definitely had a good time.  But when I come home, it always seems like such a let down.  We also discovered a rat living too close to our home front and had suspicions that he might be trying to make his way inside.  So we had that to deal with as soon as we got home.  UGH!

Then Mike had a phone conversation with his sister where it was somehow suggested that we might host Christmas dinner this year (without talking to me about it).  Let me first say that if I had a different house, I would gladly host any holiday dinner.  But in this house, with 3 small children & a rather big extended family? Um, no.  I will help anyone else in every way possible, as long as I am not the host.

Please note that I live in a small row home.  No real dining room, smallish kitchen, one bathroom, no dishwasher.  I have about 1.5 feet of free counter space, would need to set up part of the play area as the eating area, would have to purchase a long table in order to fit everyone and let's recall, I have no dishwasher.  And this is Christmas so I have no idea where we might be able to open up gifts.  I quickly envisioned a day that would entail me living in the kitchen all. day. long.  Mike and I proceeded to have an argument about this that went in too many bad directions- you know the kind I am talking about?

I guess I could do it if I wanted to be completely stressed out for the next month & have a mental breakdown on Christmas Eve.  It would literally suck the fun out of the holiday for me.  Mike does not consider the preparations that take need to be made, not to mention the actual work on the day of...just ask him what he did to help prepare for Chloe's party? And that didn't involve a sit down dinner.  Under normal conditions I don't begrudge this at all--but it just gets to me in the heat of an argument.  Because Mike just figures that everything would come together- he doesn't consider the work involved to make it come together.  And today that just bothered me.

I realize I sound ridiculous but lately I have been feeling a lovely combination of inadequate and under-appreciated.  So maybe it just hit me the wrong way?  Some people would say "what the heck?" and just go for it.  I am not in that category.  I wish I could be more easy going about these kinds of things but I always want everything to be perfect & can never meet my own expectations.

I'm now in such a crappy mood...after a wonderful holiday and weekend...I feel like such a scrooge.  I hope that a little venting on this here blog with help clear my mind & get me ready to start fresh tomorrow.  I don't want to spend the holiday season in a funk!

PS- I also hope that PMS is to blame for this crud mood...which means the mood should lift in a day or two. Fingers crossed!!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Totally hear you on the prepping for a party venting. When we (and by we I mean me) were getting ready for Hailey's party, Jimmy suggested to his brothers (without consulting me) that we have them over for a get together the night before the party. WHAT?? Never once thought that I might be cleaning, planning, organizing, cooking. "We have all day to do that" HA! Needless to say there was no get together once I was told about it. Still pissed over that one. Men.